Sometimes, even the most vigilant cyclist could get into a bicycle accident. With so many people going green these days, there are more people biking to work or school than ever before. Not only is gas expensive, but a lot of people are concerned about their carbon footprint. With more bicycles on the road, there are bound to be more bicycle accidents as well. This has been the experience for our Atlanta accident lawyers. Every couple of weeks, we meet with someone who has been seriously injured in a bicycle accident.
It should be a surprise that bicycle accidents are so dangerous. After all, there’s nothing to protect the cyclist from a car or SUV. People who ride their bikes around the city are at the mercy of other motorists. Given the fact that everybody seems to be in a rush today, this doesn’t bode well for bicycle riders. When a cyclist is hit by a car or SUV, the impact they suffer is tremendous. As with any other type of accident, the victim should be entitled to damages. Of course, their Atlanta accident lawyer will have to prove fault. They’ll also have to prove damages. The good news is that our Georgia injury lawyers have decades of combined experience handling cases like this. We can help you get the compensation you deserve.
Here, we’ll discuss some of the common causes for bicycle accidents in Atlanta. We will also explain how your Atlanta accident lawyer can prove fault in these cases. Finally, we will briefly describe the various types of damages you can collect in your case. If you still have questions about your own bicycle accident, give us a call. We can always schedule your free, initial consultation over the phone. Or, if you prefer, you can do so through our website.
What are the Common Causes of Bicycle Accidents in Atlanta?
Bicycle accidents aren’t all that different from car accidents. They are usually caused by the same things. Of course, when you’re safely inside a car, a minor fender bender won’t cause serious injuries. However, for someone riding a bike, any collision can end up being very serious – even fatal. This is why most cities spend a great deal of time and resources reminding people about bicycle safety.
Some of the more common causes of bicycle accidents include:
- Distracted driving
- Failure to stop at a red light or stop sign
- Drinking and driving
- Texting and driving
- Not paying enough attention to the road and people around you
Regardless of what the cause of your crash was, there’s a good chance you’re entitled to damages. All your Atlanta accident lawyer needs to do is prove fault.
How Can Your Georgia Injury Lawyer Prove Fault?
Proving fault in a bicycle accident case is also similar to proving fault in a car crash. Your attorney will have to prove negligence. To do this, they’ll need to demonstrate the following:
- The other driver owed you a duty of care – Of course, all drivers owe cyclists a duty of care. Not only do they need to obey the traffic laws, but they need to use common sense. If a person is driving on a busy road, they have a duty to keep an eye out for people walking or on bikes.
- The driver breached their duty of care – This is where your Atlanta accident lawyer comes into play. They need to prove that the driver did something specific that breached their duty of care. For example, you could submit evidence showing that they were arrested for drunk driving at the accident scene. Or there could have been an intersection camera that caught the defendant texting and driving or running a red light.
- You must also show that you suffered an injury – In most cases, you need to show that you suffered a physical injury. While you can collect damages for a financial injury, most of the bicycle accident cases we handle involve physical injuries as well. For example, you could submit a copy of your medical records showing that you suffered a traumatic brain injury or spinal cord injury.
- You must also demonstrate that your injuries were directly caused by the driver’s breach – This shouldn’t be that hard to do. Unless something happened between the time of your collision and your hospital visit, it will be hard for the defendant to claim they weren’t at fault.
Once you prove these four elements, your Georgia injury lawyer must prove your damages.
What Kind of Damages Can You Demand?
As with other personal injury cases, your Georgia injury lawyer will demand that you be compensated for your injuries. In most of the bicycle accident cases our attorneys handle, they demand the following types of damages:
- Medical bills
- Future medical bills
- Lost wages
- Lost future wages
- Property damages
- Pain and suffering
Regardless of how much your demand is for, there’s a good chance your Atlanta accident lawyer will settle your case. Their goal is to make sure you are made whole. This is why it’s important to remember that your lawyer’s job is not to make you rich. Their job is to get you compensation for injuries you actually suffered.
Why Should You Retain an Experienced Atlanta Accident Lawyer to Handle Your Case?
If you’ve recently been injured in a bicycle accident, there’s a good chance you’re entitled to damages. The only way to know is to contact a seasoned Georgia injury lawyer to review your case. The thing about our associates is that they will be honest with you. If they don’t feel you have a strong case, they’ll let you know. They don’t want to get your hopes up or waste your time. However, if they feel you have a valid claim for damages, they’ll be willing to help you get the compensation you deserve.
We suggest that you call our office as soon as possible after your accident. Ask to schedule your free, initial consultation. This gives you a chance to sit down with an experienced Georgia injury lawyer who can evaluate your case. They may even be able to tell you what your case is worth. Of course, since every case is different, they can’t give you an exact figure. But they’ll at least give you an idea of what to expect. Since the consultation is free, you have nothing to lose.